Saturday, March 23, 2013

GK, Delhi. [28 March/13]

So this is my second time coming to Delhi NCR. The first time I did not go around, so travel wise this could be considered my first time.
After a tiring flight from Vegas to Delhi I was pleasantly surprised to be received by a friend of mine at the airport. The convenience of not having to deal with taxis etc after a tiring trip is next to none.
It wasn't until later that night I reached my housing location, so we went around to a few places in Delhi.
If someone left me alone in Delhi NCR I would be lost forever. I absolutely cannot understand the way their sectors are organized. Good thing I was going around with someone who knew what is where.
So I needed to get a few things and also get some currency exchanged. It turns out the GK is a one stop place for everything. Be it food, clothing, alcohol......whatever. There are many places like these though. Not sure but there are 4-5 GK's, GK-1 etc... And each one of them has blocks, also these blocks aren't alphabetically arranged. It could be M, Z, K, absolutely random.
As usual any market you go to in India is going to be packed, especially in the evening. And in major cities there is an issue of finding a parking spot. At a lot of places you find 2-3 guys running their own parking thing. It's completely illegal and unofficial. But people are just used to it. So you just park there and pay them. A business out of nothing.....
We parked at one such place which was right at the GK market area. Oh yes and I was at GK-1
We went around lookng for a clothing store which would be moderately priced. The great thing about such markets is that, you find the most expensive and the cheapest stores in the same area. Was looking for floaters(chappals) when this one store was trying to sell me these chappals for rs.500,and the only reason it was priced 500 was because it had OldNavy printed on it. It wasn't original, someone somewhere must have printed that on it just to make it look legit. There's a reason why the bargaining culture is very common in India. Everyone who lives or has visited this country knows the shops just rip people off by adding a fake brand tag, this isn't always the case though.
So after all the bargains, by the way I am so bad at it, we decided to grab a drink. Again, parked at a nearby place looking for a decent bar/pub. Just looking to grab a beer and chill, catch up on our lives. So now the guy who was handling the parking of that area told us there was a beer shop and a bar next to it. We weren't sure if we wanted to go to the bar because it din look a good place to chill. We went in anyways, the bar area was downstairs. Had one look and came out... haha. It was ridiculously dirty. Not even average, just downright dirty. Now the parking guy tells us we should probably buy some beer and drink it in the car. When we asked him what about the police, he tells us, "I own the police", telling us about how he pays them every week etc. Clearly he was out of his head because that evening itself we saw a cop beating the hell out of one of the parking guys at the previous location.
Of course we did not drink it in the car. Grabbed some and went to my housing location.

 I expected my place to be an apartment somewhere where I would be sharing sharing a room with my colleagues who were travelling to India for work as well. But it was better then that. Proper food court and everything. The area I am staying at is an IT sector. All you see is office buildings, lots and lots of them.
Am probably going to go around and check the area out. Not expecting to find anything interesting considering there won't be many residences here. If I find something interesting I will blog about it :D.

 *Sorry for the picture less blogpost. I forgot to click. If I happen to go back, you will see some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment